CES eNews: New Principal Spotlight

Monday, July 27, 2015

New Principal Spotlight

Welcome Mrs. Meyer!

Please tell us about your family and/or people you enjoy spending time with outside of school.
My husband, Matt, and I just celebrated our third wedding anniversary. We met when we both lived in Chicago and we relocated to Northern Michigan two years ago. Our daughter Addie is 21 months and it is so fun to watch her grow! Matt grew up in Petoskey and his parents, aunt and uncle, and cousins live in the area. I also have a cousin in Petoskey and her sons attend the same daycare as our daughter. It is so nice to have family in Northern Michigan! We also have a lot of family downstate in Grosse Pointe, where I grew up. My parents and sister still live in that area and my brother is in Columbus, OH. They are all visiting at the end of July for their third annual summer trip "up north" and we are excited to show off the area to them! Matt and I have thirteen nieces and nephews and we love to get Addie together with her cousins.

What college(s) did you attend while preparing to become a principal?
My undergraduate degree is from Miami University, in Oxford, OH in Early Childhood Education. My first masters degree is in Curriculum & Instruction and my second masters degree is in School Leadership (Principal Certification). Both of my masters are from Concordia University ­ Chicago.

How are you spending your summer?
This summer I have spend a lot of time at my in­laws cottage on Burt Lake. I love getting out on the pontoon boat and doing puzzles. I have also liked taking my daughter to concerts in the park, farmer's markets, and the beach. Northern Michigan has so much to offer and we are so lucky to have it in our own backyard!

Please share your favorite childhood school memory.
My favorite childhood school memory is from second grade when our class put messages in balloons and released them. Several months later I received a letter in the mail from a couple in New York that had found my balloon and note on their property!

What are two of your favorite things you are excited about as you begin to work for Charlevoix Public Schools?
I am so excited to get to know the students at Charlevoix Elementary School! I wanted to be an educator my entire life and there is nothing quite like watching students learn and grow. I am also excited about becoming a part of the Rayder school community. The staff and families in Charlevoix have such pride for their schools and community and I am excited to be a part of it!

What do you like to do on your free time?
In my free time I like to participate in local activities such as art fairs, farmers markets, and festivals. This winter I got back on skis for the first time in over 15 years and I also tried snowshoeing for the first time. I like to try new things and stay active. My husband and I wanted to raise our daughter in Northern Michigan and we are so blessed to be able to do so! 


Mrs. Meyer, Mr. Meyer and their daughter Addie in the middle.